This class went by so fast. I honestly cannot believe
that it ends this Friday (and I do believe this blog is our final one)! Upon
looking over my blog and those of others many topics stand out that have been
covered in this course. From the over-sexualization of advertisements to love
songs to dating, I have discovered more about these topics, but more
importantly I have realized much about myself. Before this class I never really
wrote out what I wanted in a relationship (the romantic kind); common values
moral, self-sacrifice, and patience are needed in a relationship. Increasingly
our society has been labeled the “me” society meaning that my generation looks
for what they can get out of a relationship, and while I agree that there
should be contributions from both sides in a relationship, I do not agree with
forming a “me” relationship for marriage or for a matter of fact any
relationship. This idea also goes with another blog’s idea that love is the
love of being loving. Although, two people of different personalities might
ensure that a relationship never gets boring, the fundamental values of both
should be the same. How can you two successfully settle an argument if both
people are coming from different mindsets? This discussion helped me lay down
my hopes and goals for relationships. Furthermore, I like the idea of the
domestic church. Parents act as guide and instill tools for their children to
make their own choices and serve the larger community. From this class, I’ll
take much, from the message of America the Beautiful and Bella to the ‘interesting’
Church videos on chastity. This class has made me more politically aware,
educated me on the media’s influence on sexuality, taught about healthy
relationships and types of love, and has given me a new perspective of
sexuality.
Lent covers forty days, but do we honestly think about
Lent every day? Do people groan on Fridays because of the no meat rule, or do
Catholics merely forget? It is easy with our busy lives to forget things,
whether it is goals set for Lent or something else entirely. Sometimes we do
need days in which to reflect on our lives and look to the possibilities. Holy
Saturday is the chance to do exactly that. Personally, I am in a time of
waiting right now. I am waiting: for colleges, for independence, for summer,
for rest from school, for Easter break, for Prom, for graduation. Maybe instead of always looking for the next
thing, I can rest and contemplate in-between. The writer of the linked article
stated the main reason she failed to have Lenten goal this year is because
these goals did not change her. She would pick to stop doing one bad habit and
then immediately start right back up again after Lent was over. So for time of
waiting such as Lent and all of the other events that I am waiting for, I can
use this time of waiting to be more reflective as well as make more room for
the resurrected Christ. I can enjoy and
make the most of my time in the waiting period and soak in the rays of life.

No comments:
Post a Comment