Although I’m not Catholic, I have grown up in the Catholic
schooling environment, so I have always recognized that around this time of
year is when people start giving things up. I remember in grade school it was
almost a contest to see who could give up what. I understood that one had to
make sacrifice, but I did not understand why. What confused me more was that there
were a certain day each week (I believe people said it was on Sundays) where
one could break their promise. It confused me because why would one make a
promise and then break it without a legitimate reason (I am sure there is an
explanation to this, but I do not know)? With people giving things up, I always
felt a little pressured to say that I gave something up too because I thought
be giving something up, it would make you stronger because you were practicing
willpower. But then came a time, when one of the religion teachers pointed out
that instead of cutting something out of your life during Lent, one can choose
a more proactive approach such as acting better and being more considerate of
other people. So although, I am not Catholic, I like to participate in Lent because
I see it as an opportunity to better myself through people around me. This Lent
I intend to keep a positive attitude around other people as well as try to be
more helpful in my family. During the liturgy today a reader stated that “it is
not what Lent does for you, or what you do (or give up) for Lent but rather
what Lent does for other people through you; I agree with that ideology one
hundred percent.
No comments:
Post a Comment