Turn on the television or surf the internet and you’ll discover that you come across the concept of love very frequently. Not because this week is Valentine’s Day, but because our society is obsessed with find the “one” the perfect person to fill his or her void, the other half (I remember from a young age watching the Disney princesses find their “prince charmings”). Our society's feelings towards love are expressed in the many artists’ music that we listen to. I by no means believe in settling, but I do not believe in soul mates, in the truest sense of “soul mates” in which there is only one particular person that is right for you. I believe in a type of relationship where one can say:
“Home is whenever I'm with you”- Edward
Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (Home)
I feel that someone should be
comfortable not in their environment, but when he or she is with someone, but rather
merely with the person. Often times, people get to know a love interest in only
one context or environment and then he or she is shocked to discover how
differently the other person acts in another situation. To be comfortable and able
to say someone is your “home,” is a line I find truly endearing. Continuing
with idea of settling with someone I find these lyrics intriguing by Faded
Paper Figured (“North by North”):
“You said a long
long time ago
you were happy
being someone
Let's go far far
far from home
I'll be glad to
be with someone.”
I believe these lyrics are saying that
you should want someone that accepts his or herself and is happy with who he or
she is(“you were happy being someone”). You should be in a relationship where
the other person loves his or herself. A form of agapic love I found in Andrew
Lloyd Webber’s “Think of Me” from The Phantom of the Opera:
"There will never
be a day, when I won't think of you . . ."
Even if the other person, does not
think you all the time or you are mad at the person you are dating temporarily.
Thinking of the other person and maybe doing something a little for him or her
is a form of selfless love. Furthermore, Lights’ lyrics in the song “Frame and
Focus” expresses how I feel dating relationships should be:
“We're just a
mess of moments
That's adding up
to where we are
And you're the
frame and focus
That's making
sense of it so far”
To me, these
lyrics indicate that we as humans are flawed and a “mess of moments,” yet these experiences
shared together make a beautiful picture that has a “frame and focus,” and although
we are imperfect, these moments together make sense and are reassuring. Finally,
I know that relationships are never ever going to be perfect and even close. There is a right type of person, but what
does “soul mates” mean? Does it signify that as a couple you will never be
unhappy? There will be bad points in relationships and those are the type when
you truly need to work at a relationship. The Beatles do an excellent job of explain this idea in “We can Work it Out":
"While you see it
your way,
Run the risk of
knowing that our love may soon be gone.
We can work it
out,
We can work it
out.
Think of what
you're saying.
You can get it
wrong and still you think that it's alright."
The idea of soul mates proliferating
our media and society gives people false expectations. People may wait their
entire lives looking for perfection in a relationship, but the truth is nobody
is ever going to be perfect and so why should our relationships? That is not to
say that people should ever settle, but we need to work on relationships, and
maybe, just maybe, it is all this time,
effort, love, care, and dedication from both people that makes a good relationship
almost perfect.
I really agree with the point you made about there not only being "one" person out there for everyone. I don't believe in the quest for a single soul mate either. Things happen in life, and I don't think you should spend your time searching for the "one" when the person you are meant to be with might be right in front of you. I also really liked the lyrics, "Home is whenever I'm with you." I really believe that you can find a home in being with another person. I think everyone should feel that way rather than settling for someone.
ReplyDeleteLisa, you made such an interesting point about the idea of a "soul mate" giving false expectations that a relationship can ever be perfect. I totally agree with you on that. We as humans are not perfect. We make mistakes all the time. I believe that relationships grow out of these mistakes and, if the relationship withstands these rough spots, can be stronger than ever. Believing that a relationship with a "soul mate" should be perfect is essentially setting it up for complete failure. A successful relationship comes out of trust and understanding of one another's flaws. If this doesn't exist, neither person will be happy.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you when you say that no one should ever settle. Perfection can never be reached, but settling will not provide you with true love. Your home should be built around the person you love, not the other way around. We must accept and learn from the flaws in our relationships. They are what help us grow closer together. We must put into a relationship what we hope to get out of it.
ReplyDelete