Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sources of My Identity


Whether it was the subtle or blatant influences in my life, my family, music, and travel have shaped my identity.  My family is supportive and has been for me through it all. Growing up with three brothers, I have learned to be patient and understanding. I was always the tag-along little sister following after my two older brothers and looking up to them. Then my younger brother came, eight years after me.  Although growing up I began to pull away from being the tag-along sister, thus becoming more independent, I know feel like I can talk to my two older brothers about anything. My parents have never really pushed me to do anything, whether it was to study a lot or read more, but I do not mean that in negative way. In fact, I am glad that they did that because I have learned to motivate myself. Having survived a bombing of their city during WWII and so many more obstacles, my grandparents hold a plethora of infinite wisdom. For my last three summers I have visited them for two months; these are the times that I look most forward to because I love to hear stories. I love the idea that once everybody was once young; for some reason, I always assumed that older people I met were always the simply way they were. However, they were once in your shoes, and that makes them seem so much more real and human to me.

Music also has always been a large aspect of my life. I remember growing up listening to the Beatles and lots of foreign music that my parents played.  Music elicits memories, emotions, and concentration for me. When I listen to a certain song, I remember the context in which I first hear it and envision my experiences while listening to the music. I even have developed a love for classical music after attending numerous concerts with my grandparents. There is a sense of serenity and order to the music, which allows your mind wander and really think about life as you listen. I use music to pump me up when I am sad, and to give me energy when I am tired. I will spend countless hours looking for new music. When I actually consider music’s power to evoke emotion and thoughts, I find it truly astounding.

This past summer I had the opportunity to live by myself in Munich for three weeks. I remember waiting at a foreign train station in a small town far away from the city, not even knowing what direction to go. To be honest, I am awful at reading maps, and I did not see this trip ending well, especially since I had to transfer at two spots during the 40-minute train ride. However, when thrust into this situation, I was surprised to discover that I was not scared; I simply did what I needed to do. These train rides became soothing and familiar, a time to stare out the window and merely think. Sometimes I would watch the people on the train and fabricate my own stories about their lives.  Although I was mostly contemplative on the train rides, I had an unforgettable experience on this train when I chose to change. After returning home after a long day in the city, two Australians and a Canadian sat next to me. Normally I am a very shy, but after not hearing English for so long I needed to make a connection and so broke through my self-created barrier. Although they were much older than me, we instantly bonded and carried on our conversation for my entire train ride. Despite traveling in the opposite direction many times, I always found my way back. I have discovered myself as adventurer by getting lost in travel.

These influences of family, music, and travel comprise of a large part of who I am. 

1 comment:

  1. Your description of living in Munich and letting yourself get 'lost' in traveling is wonderful. It seems that you learned a lot about yourself through that experience... Not all who wander are lost!

    ReplyDelete